Friday, March 19, 2010

Tutorial: Lengthen your clothing with this Quilted Look!





I had this idea come into my head as a great way to lengthen jeans that are now too short. Or, do you have a skirt that you would rather have a little longer? This would be a cute way to add length to any piece of clothing and add style as well. I had a pair of 18 month size jeans that were still the right size in the waist but were now too short so I decided to try out my idea on them.


First, I cut off 2 inches from the bottom of the jeans. . .


The jeans pants leg opening where I cut was 12 inches so I decided to make 8 blocks that are 1.5 inches wide for each pants leg. I added 1/2 inch to the width of each block for seam allowances (1/4 inch seam allowance on each side). This made the width of the blocks two inches high. I needed to lengthen the pants by 1.5 inches so I made the blocks 2 inches high to allow for 1/4 inch seam allowance on the top and bottom of the strip of blocks. So I cut 2 inch x 2 inch squares for my project.

Now cut a piece of interfacing to the length of your blocks all lined up. I cut my interfacing 16 inches long by 2 inches high. (This makes sewing your blocks together easy and adds a little stiffness to match the weight of the jean fabric.)


Lay out your block on the strip of interfacing. . .


Iron the blocks down to the interfacing. . .


Fold at each place where the blocks meet and sew 1/4 inch away from the fold.


Now iron all the seams on the block strips to one side. . .


Sew the ends of the block strips together to form a circle.


Pin with right sides together to your jeans. . .


Sew 1/4 away from the edge. Then you need to finish the raw edges by zigzagging or serging.


Pin the section that you cut off of the jeans to the block section with right sides of the fabrics together.


Sew 1/4 inch away from the edge and then finish the edge by zigzagging or serging. (I also topstitched on either side of the block strips)


Here is a picture of the inside of the jeans. . .


And. . . here is the finished product!

31 comments:

  1. great idea love it. I just need to get a machine that topstitches my zigzag does it work right on my machine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I was just going to add a strip at the bottom, but yours look so much more finished. Great idea, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH HAH! Thank you thank you thank you! You have no idea how badly I need this. My 11 year old is tall and skinny. Her pants still fit in the waist, but not in length. This is PERFECT!

    Hugs,
    Melinda

    P.S. I came from oneprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so clever! They are adorable. Your little model is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for stretching the clothing budget! My 3yo just potty trained, and so all of her 3T pants fit in the waist again now that the diapers are gone; I can use this tute to lengthen them and get more wear out of them! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!! I've seen fabric added to the bottom of jeans before, but the inset stripe totally camouflages that the pants have been lengthened.

    I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-lengthen-girls-jeans-with-a-patchwork-stripe/2010/03/20/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant idea - I just bought a pair of jeans from the discount rack that are a couple of inches too short - I'll be doing this to my jeans! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO cute! Another solution to a common problem!!! I will feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow...i love this :) you've done a marvelous job :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello!
    I saw you in craft gossip!
    This is a great idea, thanks for sharing! :)
    I had a pick in your blog, you have 4 lovely daughters, I'm a mother of a 3 year old girl, myself, and I start a blog in January too!
    I'll be following you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally love this idea! I think I may purposely shorten some jeans so I can try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is genius! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually add a ruffle at the bottom to lengthen, but I love your idea. I'll have to try this next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute idea! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm desperately trying to make my kids' pants last until the weather is warmer and they can wear shorts. This will help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you so much for this tutorial, I've never thought of doing this...and my little girl has grown a ton this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea. My daughter continues to grow up but not out, this would be so cute, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to see the skirt idea! I am thinking of doing this to a pair of black pants I have that are too short. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea, never thought of keeping the bottom of the pant-leg, thank you for sharing! Adorable little model too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great idea!

    I am going to grab your button and add this to a post on my blog.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's a FABULOUS idea! my daughter always has issues with her pants because she's tall and skinny. this is the perfect solution! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for everyone's nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found your blog - fantastic idea! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. I cheated on mine, but I still LOVE them! And You! And this tutorial! :) http://maubys.blogspot.com/2010/04/at-some-point-in-last-few-weeks-of-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. brilliant & I'm totally going to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. AW so cute, I want make my daughter's pants like that! She loves the pink, so I will buy pink fabrics! Thanks for the idea, is so fashion for my little honeybee

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just did this today...but for the opposite reason! I have about 35 pair of maternity jeans, but not enough capris. I still have 8 weeks left and we are in the mid 80's with yucky humidity. So I am turning some of those jeans into capris! This is my last baby, so I don't feel so guilty. :)

    http://perrilyncreations.blogspot.com/2010/06/jeans-to-capris.html

    Thanks for posting and this great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is great. I bookmarked this a year ago but I only just got around to trying it out. It was fun and I love the results. Thanks!

    I blogged about it here: http://www.boosie.ca/?p=951

    ReplyDelete
  28. If I had a daughter, I'd surely do this. Cute done product and great pictures. I just shared it on twitter. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fund this on Pinterest. What a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial on how to do it. This will sure come in handy. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great idea, found this while doing a search for a similar fix which I have just completed on my little ones jeans but I would like to put in a little link in my blog post to your idea here too if that's ok?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails